Singapore presents the perfect climate and urbanization for people to own an aircon for their houses, offices, and other premises. The hot and humid climate makes it a must-have for anyone who can afford it.
Due to the vast urbanization in the cities of Singapore, you see many concrete structures that have aircon to cool themselves in the scorching heat of the summers.
Like any electric device, an aircon is prone to wear and tear as well as other faults which may affect its efficiency over time. However, there are some ways through which you can ensure that your aircon continues to run at its maximum efficiency and does not break down. The most significant action in this regard is the servicing of the aircon.
Read along further to find out about why servicing of your aircon is necessary, when it is required, and whether you can service your aircon yourself or call an expert for this purpose.
Why Aircon Units Need Servicing
Because of the tropical and humid climate of Singapore, there are certain factors which contribute towards aircon units receiving more wear and tear during usage. This damage, then calls for their servicing so it can continue to function in the best possible manner. Some of these factors are further discussed below:
- The tropical climate causes a lot of dust and debris to get accumulated in various parts of the aircon as it functions. This debris could cause blockage in the pipes, coils, fan, compressor, and other parts of the aircon. If the aircon is regularly serviced, it will ensure that the blockages get cleared, preventing any further damage to the aircon.
- The humid climate can also cause corrosion in parts of the aircon that can eventually cause it to break down. However, if you regularly service the aircon, there will be corrosion on any of its metallic fixtures. Thus, it will continue to do its job with full efficiency.
- In the case of split air conditioners, there may be long ducts connecting the compressor to the indoor unit, which would mean that the compressor has to work harder to continue with its efficiency. Regular servicing ensures that even if a problem is about to arise because of a similar overload, it can be caught timely and fixed accordingly to prevent a bigger problem.
- When you use an aircon for longer times, it will be prone to more defects as compared to an aircon which is not used as often. Therefore, the former needs to be serviced regularly so that such wear and tear can be avoided as much as possible, and also to prevent bigger issues from coming up later on.
- An aircon that is not serviced regularly may need to work much harder to achieve the same level of efficiency as before. This overworking will cause it to use more energy and result in much higher electricity bills. So, you need to service your aircon if you do not wish to pay this extra cost in the form of increased electricity bills!
- Another significant reason why aircon units need servicing is that it results in a detailed inspection of the units during the process. Such an inspection can let you know about any problem or issue that may not be apparent at that time and may become evident later. This way, you can fix the problem when it is still in its early stage without causing it to become a bigger problem that would cost you a lot of time, money, and effort during the repair.
When Should You Service Your Aircon
Ideally, an aircon should be regularly serviced to increase its life and to continue its efficiency. But how often is that? Depending on certain factors, you can determine this particular time for your aircon. Also, there are certain indicators which you should be on the lookout. Some of these factors are discussed below:
- As a general rule, aircon units should be serviced at least once or twice each year. However, each specific aircon manufacturer may inform in its maintenance instructions about the frequency with which that particular aircon should be serviced.
- How often you should service your aircon also depends on the amount of time it runs. You may have to service your aircon that runs for less than 8 hours a day just once or twice a year. However, an aircon that runs for longer durations may need to be serviced more often, for example, after every 3 months.
- The placement of the outer unit of the aircon also plays a role in when it should be serviced. If the outer unit is on a street or road that has a lot of traffic, it can cause more dirt and debris to enter the system. This means that it will have to be serviced more as compared to the situation where the outer unit is in a relatively isolated and clean environment.
- If your aircon starts to make more noise than usual, that may be an indication that its servicing is due.
- If the aircon is taking more time to cool the room as compared to how much time it took before, this also calls for its servicing.
- If you notice a weird or unpleasant smell coming from the aircon, it means you should service it to find what is causing the odour.
- If you notice any kind of water or liquid leaking from any part of the aircon, it will require inspection and servicing to determine and fix the cause of leakage.
Aircon Servicing Options
Now that we have established the importance of servicing air conditioners, then comes the option of how you should do it? There are two ways in which you can achieve this: either you can do it yourself or you can hire professionals to do this job. Each option has its pros and cons, which are discussed in the following sections.
DIY Aircon Servicing
Some of the advantages of doing the aircon servicing yourself are listed below:
- You can easily do regular maintenance and check-ups of your aircon that can let you know of any potential problems at the right time.
- By doing regular servicing and maintenance yourself, you save on all the overhead costs that you may have spent on professionals.
But there are certain disadvantages of servicing your aircon yourself.
- You will not be able to thoroughly clean and service the aircon yourself.
- There might be some potential problem or issue with the aircon which you might miss because you are not a professional. This problem can cause the aircon to break after some time which will eventually cost you a lot more to repair.
Aircon Servicing By Professionals
If you opt for professional aircon servicing, you may achieve various benefits such as:
- You can have the assurance of a professional service. You can simply sit back, relax, and let the professionals do their job.
- The professionals may notice potential problems much earlier, thus, causing you to save on the money that you may have had to spend in the case if that fault had risen later on in the aircon.
- Professional aircon servicing companies have all the required equipment and tools through which they can carry out a thorough and effective job.
Apart from these benefits, there may be some downsides of hiring professional aircon servicing companies.
- Professional aircon servicing can cost you, which is a regular expenditure that you have to incur.
- You may find it hard to choose a reliable and professional company that provides good value and service for the money that you spend.
How To Choose A Professional Company For Aircon Servicing
There are many benefits of hiring a professional company to carry out servicing for your aircon. However, while choosing a professional company, you should keep the following factors into consideration:
- Choose a company that has a good reputation and experience in the required field.
- Make sure that there are good customer reviews for the company so you can know that their customers were satisfied with their service.
- Choose a company that offers all kinds of aircon services. This way, you do not have to contact separate companies for installation, servicing, and repairs. You can get all these done from the same company.
- Always look for good credentials and qualification of the staff of the company you wish to hire. The more experienced and qualified the staff is, the better will be their services.
- Try to find a company that offers round-the-clock services so you may contact them whenever there is a problem with your aircon.
These are some of the factors that you should consider while hiring a professional aircon servicing company. LK Brothers is a professional aircon servicing and repair company that has vast experience in aircon repair, maintenance, and servicing. The company offers several services, through which they can deal with all kinds of issues related to air-conditioners. These include aircon installation, servicing, chemical washing, chemical overhauling, or other aircon issues.