Like any other electric equipment, an aircon can also have several problems and issues during its lifetime. These problems may be big or small; some of them may be repairable while others will need some aircon part’s replacement. However, if you recognize the problems earlier or can determine its cause, there is a good chance that the problem will not escalate to a bigger one.
In this article, we will discuss some of the most common aircon problems that you might encounter during its use as well as discuss why these problems are caused in the first place. Then, we will also discuss their repair options so you can continue to enjoy the comfort of an aircon in the hot summers.
One of the most common problems that users usually face with their aircon is that it leaks water or liquid from some of its parts. There can be several causes for this problem and their subsequent repair options, some of which are discussed below:
Causes And Repair Options
An aircon leakage problem can be caused by anyone of the following issues:
- One of the most common reasons for water dripping from an aircon is that the drain line is clogged. The function of the drain line is to remove all excess water from the overflow pan and drain it outside. When it becomes clogged, water from the overflow pan starts dripping from the aircon unit. To repair this problem, you will have to properly inspect the inner and outer units to determine what is causing the clog in the drain line. Once the exact location of the clogging has been identified, you can unclog it through various ways to remove all dirt, debris, and blockages so that the water can flow freely.
- Another common problem of leaking aircon is that the overflow pan might have become damaged or faulty. Because of the damage, it will not be able to drain the water properly outside, and that will result in water dripping from various parts of the aircon. To solve this problem, you have to inspect the overflow pan, carefully, to look for any cracks or holes in it. If they are small, you can repair the pan yourself by using any deep-action glue. However, if the damage to the pan is more, you will have to replace it.
- Another reason for a leaking aircon is that the evaporator coils may freeze due to some reason. A dirty or clogged air filter can impede proper airflow in the unit, which in turn will cause the evaporator coils to become too cold and freeze. When this ice melts because of the hot air from outside, it will cause water to leak from the unit. The solution to this problem is to clean the air filter if possible. Otherwise, you will have to replace the air filter.
- A broken pump can also become the cause for water leaking from an aircon. When the pump becomes faulty, the overflow pan will not be able to drain the water, the water overflows and drips from the unit. If the pump is broken, it is not a simple problem that you can fix yourself. A professional will have to assess the pump and then try to repair or replace it.
- Incorrect installation of the air conditioner can also cause water leakage problems. If the technician fails to level the aircon units properly, the drain line will not be able to draw the water outside. And that can result in the dripping of water. In such a case, a professional will better be able to assess the problem and correctly reinstall the unit so that the problem resolves.
Aircon Does Not Cool The Room Effectively
If you notice that your aircon is not cooling your room effectively, there could be several reasons for it, which are discussed below:
Causes And Repair Options
- One of the most common reasons for an aircon not effectively cooling the room is that its air filter is clogged. The function of the air filter is to catch all kinds of dust, particles, and debris from outside and prevent them from flowing in the air. These foreign particles can cause the filter to get clogged, which will negatively affect the coolness of the aircon. To solve this problem, you will have to clean the air filter by washing it thoroughly and drying it completely before putting it back inside. However, if you are unable to clean the filter by washing it, you may need to replace it.
- Another common cause of an aircon not cooling enough is that the condenser coils may have become clogged because of dirt and debris from the outside. This blockage prevents the air from properly flowing through the coils thus, its cooling efficiency is compromised. The solution to this problem is to get the aircon serviced properly so all kinds of blockages can be removed.
- One reason for an aircon to not cool a room is that it may not be of the proper size as compared to the room. If the room is too big and the aircon has a smaller BTU, it will lack the capacity to cool a big-sized room. The solution to this problem is to get an appropriate-sized aircon depending on the room’s area.
- If an aircon is not effectively cooling a room, its thermostat may have to be blamed. If it becomes defective, it will not be able to regulate the room’s temperature and be unable to signal the aircon to start the compressor at the right times. Usually, this problem can be solved by repairing the thermostat or replacing it.
- One of the most dreaded reasons for an aircon not effectively cooling a room is that its compressor may have broken down. This breaking down could be caused by several reasons, including not servicing the aircon regularly and letting small problems escalate into bigger ones. A damaged compressor usually needs to be replaced and cannot be repaired as easily.
Aircon Is Making More Noise Than Usual
If your aircon is making more noise than usual, it will not only sound unpleasant and disturbing, but it can also indicate a problem with some parts of the unit. This problem may aggravate further if it is not dealt with immediately and cause you a lot more hassle and money in getting it repaired. Therefore, even a little increase in the noise of the aircon should be inspected further.
Causes and Repair Options
There are a few reasons why an aircon might be making more noise than usual. Some of those causes and their respective solutions are discussed below:
- If the evaporator coils of the aircon are dirty, they will cause the aircon to make more noise than usual and consequently affect the cooling efficiency. The dirt evaporator coils can be cleaned during aircon servicing after which the aircon should continue to function normally.
- One more reason for an aircon to be making extra noise could be a faulty motor. This problem should not be ignored as this can cause the compressor to break down. A professional technician might be able to repair a faulty motor or replace it if repairing is not possible.
- Since an aircon consists of several parts, if even one of the parts becomes loosened, it will cause the aircon to make increased noise. The solution to this problem is to regularly service the aircon and inspect it so all the parts can be fixed properly in their places.
Aircon Does Not Turn On
If your aircon does not turn on, one of the following causes may have to be blamed:
Causes and Repair Options
- If the aircon does not turn on, one possible reason could be that its fuse may have blown. The solution is simple in this case: just replace it with a new fuse.
- Another reason for the aircon not turning on is some problem with the wiring. This needs to be checked by an electrician to determine the exact problem and fix it.
- One probable reason for the aircon to not turn on is a faulty motor or compressor. Again, this needs to be inspected by a professional.
All the above-mentioned problems are some of the most common ones that you might encounter with your aircon. It is always a good idea to call a professional to carry out aircon repair for you so you can be assured that the problem will be identified and fixed efficiently. LK Brothers is a professional aircon repair and servicing company that excels in providing high-quality service and repair solutions for all your aircon-related problems.