Cleaning and maintenance of your aircon are highly important if you want it to continue working with the same efficiency and prevent it from getting various problems. When it comes to the maintenance of an aircon, there are many different options available. You can opt for aircon servicing, aircon chemical cleaning, and aircon chemical overhaul.
In this article, we will discuss what exactly does it mean when you say that you want to get your aircon chemically overhauled. We will also list the various pros and cons of aircon chemical overhaul, its importance, and difference with other types of aircon cleaning procedures.
How Do I Maintain My Home Air Conditioner?
Regular maintenance of your aircon is one of the most important aspects of owning an aircon which should never be overlooked. Over the course of time, dust and dirt build-up on various parts of the air-conditioning system.
These not only affect the smooth working of the different parts of the aircon but also compromise the quality of air that is blown inside the room. Dust and dirt particles, if blown inside the room, can cause allergies and breathing issues.
For this reason, it is highly advisable to do regular maintenance and cleaning of your aircon system at least once a year. This should be done irrespective of whether you suspect a fault or problem in the aircon or not.
Once you want to do the cleaning of your aircon, you have various options to choose from. The normal cleaning of the filter and outer surfaces of the units could easily be done yourself every 1 to 2 months.
However, when it comes to overall maintenance that does a complete overhaul of the system, you should seek professional services. The technicians are qualified and trained to carry out the complete process and look for any defects and consequently repair them. This ensures that the aircon performance is improved while also increasing the service life of the aircon.
In professional servicing, there are three different options from which you can choose from normal servicing, chemical wash or cleaning, and chemical overhaul. Each comes at a different price with different levels of cleaning and maintenance offered by each. Below, we will describe the difference between all these three kinds of professional cleaning and maintenance services.
Helpful read: Is There Water Coming Out Your Aircon? Find Out Why
How Do I Keep An Aircon Clean?
With the usage of an air conditioner, dirt and dust buildup in various of its parts can result in choking or clogging of the system. A normal aircon servicing tries to unclog all these parts so that proper airflow is maintained.
This servicing involves cleaning the filter, drainage system, temperature and pressure gauges, condenser, and all the pipes. This cleaning is done without the use of any chemical. This cleaning is done without dismantling the units from the wall.
Although this type of cleaning essentially unclogs most of the system, it is still not as thorough as a chemical wash or chemical overhaul. Some problems might get overlooked during this kind of service which might show later in the future. Normal servicing is also relatively cheaper when compared with a chemical wash and a chemical overhaul.
Helpful read: The Basics of Aircon Compressors
Why Is Chemical Overhauling Of Aircons Important?
Chemical Overhaul is a thorough cleaning, maintenance, and repair procedure that you carry out if you suspect some problem or reduced performance in the aircon. There are some prominent reasons why you should chemically overhaul your aircon if you notice any issue, some of these are listed below:
- The most significant factor that makes chemical overhaul necessary for an aircon is that it is a thorough and deep cleansing and inspecting procedure. Through this procedure, you can be sure that your aircon is functioning at the optimum level.
- The whole process uses high-quality chemicals and solutions that ensure thorough cleaning of every part of the aircon.
- All the dirt and debris that might have accumulated in the fan evaporator coil is completely removed during a chemical overhaul which results in better dissipation of heat and better performance.
- A chemical overhaul helps in prolonging the lifespan of the aircon by preventing probable faults.
Helpful Read: Signs You Need Our Aircon Servicing or Repair Services
How Is Chemical Overhaul Different From Chemical Washing?
Aircon Chemical Overhaul
Aircon chemical overhaul differs from chemical washing in that the former is much more thorough and time-consuming as compared to the latter. Usually, you carry out chemical overhauling if one notices some problem with the aircon and, thus, it results in some repairing or part replacement during the process. Chemical washing is usually done more frequently as compared to chemical overhauling.
A chemical overhaul is done when you encounter some kind of problem with your aircon. It can be anything ranging from reduced cooling to the aircon not switching on in the first place. You will have to call a professional technician who would do a chemical overhaul and repair or replace the parts that have malfunctioned.
An aircon chemical overhaul is an essential process that you should immediately go for if you suspect a problem with the air-conditioning unit’s performance. Neglecting to do so might aggravate the problem further.
In the process of a chemical overhaul, the complete aircon is dismantled and each of its parts are removed and inspected. Faulty or damaged parts will be repaired or replaced. The other parts will be thoroughly cleaned with chemical reagents just like that of a chemical wash.
Water leakages from any part is then stopped through the process of chemical cleansing. All the fan bearings are then lubricated to ensure that they do not cause any noise and move smoothly. The fan evaporator coil is also cleaned with a chemical solution so that it can improve the aircon efficiency. The blocked vents are also cleaned to remove all the toxic buildup. This helps in keeping the blown air clean and pure.
The main difference between normal servicing, chemical cleaning, and chemical overhaul is that the first two are done as preventive measures whereas a chemical overhaul is done when you suspect some problem with the aircon performance or efficiency.
In the first two cases, your air conditioner might be working properly but you get the servicing or chemical cleaning done to prevent any big problem from arising in the near future and to maintain the air-conditioning’s performance.
However, the chemical overhaul is done when there is already some problem with the aircon’s performance, its cooling is affected, or you hear some strange noise, or smell a foul odor coming from the aircon.
In the case of normal servicing or chemical wash, parts may not be repaired or replaced, whereas in the case of an aircon chemical overhaul, almost always there is some form of repair or part replacement involvement.
Another difference is the price of these three cleaning processes. A chemical overhaul is the most thorough which also include repair and replacement costs, so it is the most expensive. A chemical wash is relatively cheaper than a chemical overhaul but more expensive than a normal servicing.
All these methods are different forms through which you can clean and maintain your aircon Depending on the severity of the problem, you might want to choose any of them. Each has its own cost and advantages. But one thing is for sure, paying for any of these services is still affordable in the long run as compared to a case when your aircon breaks down due to no maintenance and you have to replace it with a new one!
The Pros And Cons Of Chemical Overhauling
When you want to chemically overhaul your aircon, you may want to consider its pros and cons that are described below:
- Aircon chemical overhaul thoroughly cleans the unit, which results in better quality fresh air to be blown inside. All kinds of mould, mildew, and fungus are removed during the process to ensure spore-free and germ-free air. This process helps promote better health for everyone, especially for people prone to allergies, asthma, and other respiratory issues.
- A chemical overhaul can determine even the smallest problems in the aircon functionality, thus, allowing you to repair and fix every problem. This timely fixing of faults helps in improving the performance and life of the aircon.
- An aircon chemical overhaul helps to reduce your energy consumption and electricity bills. Since a chemical overhaul can effectively maintain the aircon units and check all the moving parts of the aircon, this will result in smoother operation of the system.
- The aircon will not have to work harder to maintain its performance which will then translate into controlled electricity bills.
- The chemical overhaul also helps to cool the area much faster. This increased efficiency is because every part of the system works at its optimum level, which increases the aircon’s efficiency.
- A chemical overhaul makes the aircon system almost new, which, in turn, helps to prevent overheating and reduces the condensation rate. This lower condensation rate improves the aircon’s performance and efficiency.
Helpful Read: Aircon Services And Their Prices
Although there are many advantages of aircon chemical overhaul, there are certain disadvantages that you should know about before making any decision.
- One of the negatives associated with chemical overhauling is that the whole process is a lengthy one. This process includes the complete dismantling of the unit and then disassembling all the main parts of the aircon. It is a time-consuming procedure that requires a lot of effort.
- Another downside to chemical overhauling is that it uses strong chemicals for cleaning and maintaining purposes. Some people might develop allergies or a reaction to these chemicals that can cause them respiratory problems and skin issues. You may have to move out of your residence for the time till the remains of the chemical fumes remain.
- Chemical overhauling is a specialized process which means that it is quite expensive as compared to regular maintenance and servicing of aircons. You have to weigh the cost of a chemical overhaul with the benefits that it offers.
- The process of a chemical overhaul is a technical one that requires skilled and qualified technicians. They have to be skilled enough to handle the chemicals and dispose of them off without it being a hazard for anyone.
Helpful Read: What Is Aircon Chemical Wash And Why Is It Important?
The Complete Procedure Of Aircon Chemical Overhaul
When you want to chemically overhaul your aircon, you will have to contact a skilled technician or company who will carry out the process from scratch to finish.
The overall procedure of a chemical overhaul is discussed below:
- The first step in a chemical overhaul is to dismantle the wall from wall. But before dismantling, the technician will pump the refrigerant gas into the condensing unit and secure the service valve so that the gas will not escape during the cleaning process.
- The technician will then disconnect the electric wiring and connections of the drain pipe from the fan coil unit.
- Once he has disconnected all the connections, he will dismantle the fan coil unit from the wall.
- The next step is to dismantle all the remaining parts of the aircon. This dismantling includes the electrical circuit board, evaporator coil, fan motor, blower, and the drain pan.
- Next, the technician will brush off the electrical board and fan motor to clean it properly. He will also inspect the electrical board to look for any kinds of short circuits or burnt parts.
- The next step is to wash some parts of the aircon by using specialized chemicals. The technician will use an alkaline chemical to handle the corrosion. He will also use this chemical to wash the fan coil cover, blower, and body along with the drain pan and the evaporator coils.
- The process of chemical washing involves flushing all the washable parts with water after which the chemical is poured on to them. This chemical will create a reaction with which all kinds of trapped dirt and grime will become loose and wash off easily after a few minutes. The technician will leave the chemical on the parts for some time, so even the stubborn stains and dirt particles can get dissolved.
- Once all the dirt has been removed, the technician will wash all those parts with water so that the chemical solution can be washed off completely.
- During the time that the parts were submerged in the water and chemical solution, the technician will clear the drainpipe by using a vacuum or flushing device. Similarly, he will also vacuum the refrigerant piping system so all kinds of dust and particles can be removed.
- Once all the washed parts have dried, it will be time to re-assemble all components of the fan coil unit. He will then install the fan coil unit back to the wall.
- The technician will check for any leakage, especially at the fan coil flaring joint.
- He will then reconnect all the electrical wires and connections.
- The aircon will then be turned on and a test run to see if everything is working correctly. The technician will look for any leakage, foul smell, or unusual noise. If everything works well, the technician’s job is over.
Aircon Chemical Wash
This is a much thorough form of cleaning when compared with normal servicing. In normal servicing, only the outer parts of each unit are cleaned without dismantling any of its main parts.
This leaves room for error as most of the inner parts are not even in the reach of the technician to clean. On the contrary, in a chemical wash, every part of the aircon is cleaned using chemical reagents as the aircon is dismantled before this chemical wash process begins.
Parts such as the condenser, coils, fans, water trays, and air filters are dismantled and washed with a chemical-based solution. This targets all the inner areas which are easily missed in normal servicing.
All kinds of dirt buildup and dust is washed away through this cleaning resulting in an increase in the aircon efficiency. A chemical-based solution is mixed up in which all the dismantled parts are submerged for some time.
The chemical reagents fight off the hard buildup of dirt and help in washing them off of the various parts. Once all the parts are clean, they are fixed back together. This process gives a new life to the aircon which is then able to function with full efficiency.
An aircon chemical wash helps in preventing mould as well as reduces corrosion. It improves the air conditioner efficiency and air quality. The chemical cleaning process should be done at least twice a year without any apparent reason for its requirement.
This will not only help in controlling the energy bills but keep the aircon working smoothly and normally for many years. In the absence of such cleaning, your aircon parts would be subject to more wear and tear over the years and could result in such a big fault that replacing it with a new one may be your only option left.
Professional Help For Aircon Chemical Overhaul
Many of the aircon chemical overhaulings that are done are usually after users notice some kind of problem with the unit such as decreased cooling capacity, an odd smell coming out of the unit, aircon making more noise than usual, or some other issue.
However, if you want your aircon to keep working at its peak level all year round, you should consider chemical overhauling at least once a year. For this purpose, you should always seek the services of skilled and qualified professionals so you can be assured that your aircon will be able to continue its high performance.
LK Brothers is a professional company that excels in providing high-quality aircon servicing, aircon chemical washing, aircon chemical overhauling, and repair services to its customers. The highly skilled technicians utilize their expertise to provide consumers with the best possible services.